Two Translations of Eminescu's "Poplars" Poem



DOWN WHERE THE LONELY POPLARS GROW 
Translated by Corneliu M. Popescu

Down where the lonely poplars grow 
How often have I erred; 
My steps that all the neighbours know 
You only have not heard. 

Towards your window lighted through 
How oft my gaze has flown; 
A world entire my secret knew 
You only have not known. 

A word, a murmur of reply 
How often did I pray! 
What matters then if I should die, 
Enough to live that day; 

To know one hour of tenderness, 
One hour of lover's night; 
To hear your whisper's soft caress 
One hour, then come what might! 

Had you but granted me a glance 
That was not filled with scorn, 
Out of its shining radiance 
A new star had been born. 

You would have lived through lives untold 
Beyond the ends of time; 
O deity with arms so cold, 
O marble form sublime! 

An idol of some pagan lore 
As now no more is seen, 
Come down to us from times of yore, 
From times that long have been. 

My worship was of ages gone, 
Sad eyes by faith beguiled, 
Each generation handed on 
From father unto child. 

But now I very little care 
To walk along that lane, 
Nor heed the face I found so fair 
Looks out for me in vain; 

For you are like them all today 
In bearing and in guise, 
And I but look on your display 
With cold and lifeless eyes. 

You should have known to value right 
With wondering intent, 
And lit your "candela" at night 
To Love that God had sent. 



THE PAIRLESS POPLARS
Translated by Adrian G. Sahlean 

The pairless poplars swayed alone 
As oft I passed them slow
With eyes of love to neighbors known, 
You only wouldn’t know.

By your lit window many days 
For just one glance I’d stand
Neighbors could see it in my gaze, 
You wouldn’t understand.

How oft I’d wait your voice to hear 
One word that you would say
If I could only hold you near, 
A day, a single day.

One hour’s while I prayed a above 
To love with lust and sigh
Upon your lips to hang my love 
One hour and then die.

And from your spell of serene eyes, 
Gather a lonely ray
A star you would have been to rise 
For coming time to stay.

Living for all eternity, 
Glowing apart alone
With your cold arms all seem to me 
Carved in marble stone.

A cherished idol, face divine 
And beauty without pair
As from the tales of olden time, 
The maiden princess pair.

For that was love of heathen eyes
And heart humbled in pain
That parents through the ages wise 
To parents had ordained.

Today with mind aloof I tread 
Seldom on Poplars’ Lane
And now you sadly turn your head 
Behind my steps in vain.

And you now longer glow apart 
In style or dress or guise
And now I look with careless heart 
And cold and lifeless eyes.

Oh sacred charm, from it one spark 
Had only touched your name
You’d have been candle in the dark 
For love’s eternal flame.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faust Without Mephistopheles: The Historical Background of Oswald Spengler’s Philosophy of Science

"Roman Law" by Houston Stewart Chamberlain